Skip to main content

 Entertainment Law

For musicians, artists, and writers, there can be an enormous gap between the artistic side of the business and, well, the lawyer side of the business, commonly called “Entertainment Law.” Before he was a lawyer, Gerrit was a musician and sometimes actor performing locally, nationally, and internationally. He’s still an (inactive) member of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association but now focuses much of his time on providing help for those in the arts. Some of the things that we can help with include:

  • Licensing agreements
  • Publishing contracts
  • Management agreements
  • Band agreements
  • Book options
  • Licensing deals
  • Sales arrangements

There is a wide range of circumstances when someone in a creative industry might want a lawyer’s help. (In fact, here’s a great article on when a musician, for instance, might want one).

Now, some of those above are obvious, but there are also things like

  • Wills that contemplate artistic work rights after death
  • Commercial space leases
  • Non-profit founding
  • Much more

We’re happy to work with artists on flexible payment terms and some of our other services with Gerrit (including residential real estate) are even eligible for a discount for active members of professional artists’ organizations including:

  • Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA)
  • Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA)
  • Canadian Federation of Musicians (CFA/AFM Canada)
  • Writers’ Guild of Canada
  • Writers’ Union of Canada
  • CARFAC – Professional members

Please don’t hesitate to reach out and ask us questions – we’d love to hear from you!